About Adele Sommers
Adele Sommers, Ph.D. is recognized by colleagues and clients for her ability to rapidly identify core issues with deep insight, compassion, and enthusiasm. An independent consultant since 1996, Adele has devoted over two decades to helping small companies to large aerospace firms boost their profitability and effectiveness. She specializes in:
- Presentation and multimedia design
- Information design and technical communication
- Classroom training, eLearning, and blended learning
- Organizational performance-improvement consulting, and
- System and process optimization for companies of all sizes
Adele has developed or co-created a variety of successful e-learning and workshop-based programs for organizations in a wide range of industries. Those industries include manufacturing, banking and financial services, insurance, project management, leadership development, trust building, presentation design, process improvement, quality assurance, and more.
As an internationally recognized business author, Adele has granted many requests to reprint her articles, which have appeared in publications in the U.S. to Singapore to Dubai.
As an expert meeting facilitator and workshop leader, Adele designs and delivers award-winning presentations for online and in-person training, as well as for customized e-learning and multimedia projects based on client needs. For example...
Adele received a Grand APEX Award for a story-based instructional design effort. This is the highest recognition possible in the annual APEX Competition for Publication Excellence, and is conferred on only three percent of the thousands of entries submitted.
Adele’s company, Business Performance Inc., helps organizations “discover and recover” the hidden potential they could be missing or overlooking daily because of misaligned marketing, product, or service objectives; undetected obstacles; inadequate training; and inefficient processes.
To accomplish these goals, Adele focuses initially on an audience analysis and requirements gathering before recommending any solutions. This systematic approach enables Adele's clients to expose and analyze gaps between current and desired states of effectiveness before committing resources to a specific course of action.
Adele has consulted in, designed and delivered training for, or completed other professional projects for corporations such as GM-Hughes, CUNA Mutual Group, Hewlett-Packard, Cisco, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E), BHP Billiton, and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center; and international business and training consultancies such as Strategic Profits, the Reina Trust Building® Institute, and BankersLab. (See more on the client list page.)
Download Adele’s article, “Why Use Instructional Systems Design?”
Adele’s overarching approach to training involves improving and supporting performance in the workplace. In so doing, learning gains become durable and make the best use of the enterprise resources invested. Especially in the case of e-learning, learners can return to the training environment for “just-in-time” reinforcement that supports their ongoing work assignments.
Since new knowledge fades quickly without reinforcement, implementing a support framework is as vital as presenting new information. Putting the proper structure in place enables learners to revisit and practice what they need to without incurring the cost and inconvenience of re-training.
Additionally, wherever it’s possible to support learners in doing the actual work required to complete job assignments, building in these mechanisms typically receives a top priority. Note that this layer goes beyond “training” and enters the realm of performance support.
For example, performance support might include step-by-step guidance on how to complete a task. The steps could incorporate fill-in-the-blanks forms that enable an individual to produce the real-life output needed to complete the job at hand. (This is similar to the way an electronic tax preparation system helps the average taxpayer complete an annual tax return without having to understand — much less memorize — the tax code!)
Adele begins by helping the organization align its needs and desired outcomes with its real-world performance goals. She works with clients to identify the skills, actions, and behaviors that performers must master to achieve those goals. The training programs she designs focus as much as possible on realistic scenarios and job-related problem-solving activities based on actual work assignments.
When online learning, classroom training, or a blended approach embodies effective performance support techniques, the resulting approach multiplies the organization’s return on investment (ROI) by:
- Decreasing the learning curve for new employees
- Lowering the overall cost of training with just-in-time job support
- Enabling people with less expertise to perform at a higher level, and
- Preserving and leveraging the organization’s intellectual assets!
In addition to the above, Adele’s achievements also include the following:
- Author of the following award-winning publications: “Straight Talk on Boosting Business Performance” success program, “Meeting Success Kit,” “Project Success Kit,” and “Customer Success Kit”
- Doctorate in Education with a focus on Performance Technology; Masters Degree in Management; Certificate in Human Performance
- President of the five-time award-winning San Luis Obispo, California chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), 2002–12
- Published author on various performance improvement topics; Adeles articles have appeared in the Performance Improvement Journal of the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) as well as in a variety of international business journals
- Over a decade of service at GM-Hughes Corporation, earning awards for excellence in leading projects and guiding process improvement teams
- College instructor specializing in configuration management, project planning, and systems thinking
Contact Adele directly at Adele@LearnShareProsper.com
Learn More Here...
- About Our Principal Associates - a listing of the core strengths of our extended team; profiles of our primary business development experts
- Client List - a partial list of the clients for whom Adele has designed and developed e-learning, classroom training, or presentations; or has provided other types of performance consulting services
- Testimonials - sample comments from clients, associates, and others regarding Adele’s e-learning and training design services, performance consulting, business coaching, presentations, and training workshops
- Contact Us - our mailing address, e-mail address, phone and fax, hours of operation, and “Contact Us” Web form